Choose the best answer for each question.
- Using this key, put the phrases in the correct order to form a plasmid carrying the recombinant DNA. Key: 1) use restriction enzymes 2) Use DNA ligase 3) Remove plasmid from parent bacterium 4) Introduce plasmid into new host bacterium. A. 1, 2, 3, 4C. 3, 1, 2, 4 B. 4, 3, 2,1 D. 2, 3, 1, 4
- Which is not a clone? A. a colony of identical bacterial cells B. identical quintuplets C. a forest of identical trees D. eggs produced by oogenesis E. copies of a gene through PCR
- Restriction enzymes found in bacterial cells are ordinarily used A. during DNA replication B. to degrade the bacterial cell’s DNA C. to degrade viral DNA that enters the cell D. to attach pieces of DNA together
- Recombinant DNA technology is used A. for gene therapy B. to clone a gene C. to make a particular protein D. to clone a specific piece of DNA E. All of these are correct
- In order for bacterial cells to express human genes, A. the recombinant DNA must not contain introns. B. reverse transcriptase is sometimes used to make complementary DNA from an mRNA molecule. C. bacterial regulatory genes must be included. D. All of these are correct.
- The polymerase chain reaction A. utilizes RNA polymerase B. takes place in huge bioreactors C. utilizes temperature-insensitive enzyme D. makes lots of nonidentical copies of DNA E. All of these are correct
- DNA fingerprinting can be used for which of these? A. identifying human remains B. identifying infectious diseases C. finding evolutionary links between organisms D. solving crimes E. All of these are correct
- DNA amplified by PCR and then used for fingerprinting could come from A. any diploid or haploid cell B. only white blood cells that have been karyotyped C. only skin cells after they are dead D. only purified animal cells E. both B and D are correct
- Which of these pairs is incorrectly matched? A. DNA ligase – DNA fingerprint B. Restriction enzymes – Cloning C. DNA fragments – DNA fingerprinting D. DNA polymerase – PCR
- Which of these is an incorrect statement? A. bacteria secrete the biotechnology product into the medium B. plants are being engineered to have human proteins in their seeds. C. animals are engineered to have a human protein in their milk. D. animals can be cloned, but plants and bacteria cannot.
- Which of these is not needed in order to clone an animal? A. sperm from a donor animal B. nucleus from an adult animal cell C. enucleated egg from a donor animal D. host female to develop the embryo E. All of these are needed
- Because of the human genome project, we know or will know the A. sequence of the base pairs of our DNA B. sequence of genes along the human chromosomes C. mutations that lead to genetic disorders D. All of these are correct
- The restriction enzyme called EcoRI has cut double-stranded DNA in the following manner. The piece of foreign DNA to be inserted has what bases from the left and from the right?
- Which of these is a true statement? A. Plasmids can serve as vectors B. Plasmids are linear DNA found in viruses C. Plasmids can replicate in the host cell D. Both A and C are correct
- Which of these is a benefit of having insulin produced by biotechnology? A. It is just as effective B. It can be mass-produced C. It is less expensive D. All of the above
Order custom essay Genetic Engineering Tutorial with free plagiarism report
Cite this Page
Genetic Engineering Tutorial. (2016, Dec 18). Retrieved from https://phdessay.com/genetic-engineering-tutorial/
Run a free check or have your essay done for you