General purpose: To inform
Specific purpose: To inform my classmates about Jollof rice and how to prepare it.
Central idea: Jollof rice is more than an ordinary meal. It is a cherished and appreciated meal.
Attention-getter: Ever go to a party in Nigeria and not get served Jollof rice? Such a party is regarded as incomplete by the people who attend it. Jollof rice is that important to Africans, especially Nigerians.
Credibility material: Jollof rice is a regular meal for me. My family and I eat this meal every Sunday. Over the years, it has become our weekly Sunday ritual.
Relevance to audience: Trying a new recipe that is different from the usual ones can be very interesting and refreshing.
Preview of speech: With the help of presentational aid, I hope to give you an idea of how important this meal is, the origin, ingredients needed and procedure on how to prepare it.
(Link: First, what is the origin of this meal and where is it common?)
According to kitchenbutterfly.com, the origin of this meal is one which is really debated.
It was first traced to the Senegambian region that was ruled by the “Jolof” empire ‘Jolof’ was one of the Wolof states that ruled Senegal and Gambia and it was interpreted to mean “power”.
These West African countries are said to be rice growing countries so it was said to be that home grown rice was combined with foreign food staples like tomatoes to birth jollof rice.
The meal is common in the western part of Africa, Western African countries such as Senegal, Gambia, Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra-Leone, Mali and Liberia.
C. The different West African countries have various names for the meal
- In Senegal, the meal is known as “Benachin” or “Theiboudienn”
- In French speaking western region it is referred to as “Riz Au Gras”
- In Nigeria, it is referred to as the normal Jollof rice.
(Link: second, what are the ingredients needed?)
- According to an article made by the all Nigerian food recipe, there are some main ingredients needed to prepare this meal.
The main ingredients needed are: rice, tomatoes stew, chicken or beef (depending on preference), pepper and salt to taste, onions, know cubes (also known as Maggi), thyme and curry.
Other ingredients such as sweet corn, green peas can be used, but are not regarded as main ingredients.
(Link: Third, how is this meal prepared?)
- According to the “Congo cook book”, there are certain steps taken to have a well prepared jollof rice.
The directions before preparing the meal
- Prepare the tomato stew and keep aside. This helps fasten the cooking process
- Depending on your preference to use either chicken or beef. Cut, wash and boil the preferred option.
- Parboil the rice and put in a drain.
B. The directions when preparing the meal
- Pour the chicken or beef stock and tomato stew into a sizable pot and leave to boil
- Add the drained parboiled rice, salt and pepper to taste. Add water, water level should be the same as the rice level.
- Cover and leave to dry.
C. The meal goes with almost anything.
Serve with plantain, salad or a drink.
Summary statement: Jollof rice is a main West African dish and an important meal in Nigeria in particular. Now you know the origin, ingredients needed and how to make the meal.
Audience response statement: You can now try a new African dish and understand what is so special about the dish.
WOW statement: The famous Maya Angelou recognized this dish and declared it a “smashing success” in her book A Song Flung up To Heaven. She writes about her mother sharing a letter containing a recipe for jollof rice which was brought from Africa. If Maya Angelou loved it, you will!