Thesis Statement: Definition: the thesis statement is the most important sentence in your essay. It is the main idea for the whole essay; it is frequently shown (directly, indirectly) the number and the content of the body paragraphs of the essay. A clear thesis statement is essential for good writing.
Parts of a thesis statement: A thesis statement has two main parts: the topic and the controlling and additional one, not the necessary predictor.
A- Topic: the subject of the essay, what the essay is about.
Order custom essay Thesis Statment with free plagiarism report
Ex: Frank McCourt faced two obstacles.
B- Controlling: what you are going to say about the topic. Ex. Frank McCourt faced two obstacles. C- Predictor: it is the third component in a thesis statement. It tells the reader how many body paragraphs there will be in the essay and what their content will be. Ex. Frank McCourt faced two obstacles lack of education and poverty.
Activity 1: predict the content of the body paragraphs of the following statements circle the topic, underline the controlling:
- As human beings shape our environment by building and producing, we are increasingly polluting our air, water, and our soil.
- The main advantages of urban planning are that we can control a city's appearance, we can organize transportation effectively, and we can make sure there are enough open spaces.
- With its winding paths, lake, and small forests, Central Park in New York City is the most important example of the romantic style of landscape architecture in the United States.
Rules for Thesis Statement:
- The thesis statement must be a complete sentence with a subject and a verb. City living hazardous to your health. (not a thesis) City living is hazardous to your health.
- The thesis statement must be a statement, not a question. Are dogs good companions? Dogs are good companions.
- A thesis statement is an opinion it can't be a simple statement of fact (doesn’t need any support) I have an older brother and a younger brother. I have much in common with my younger brother than I do with my older brother.
- The thesis statement is a statement, not an announcement, and must state the controlling idea. This essay I'm going to talk about air pollution. Recent methods of reducing air pollution are showing some positive results.
- The thesis statement should have only one controlling idea.
Public transportation in my hometown is too expensive, and it is slower than that in Tokyo. Public transportation in my hometown is too expensive.
Activity: 2 state if the following sentences is a good thesis statement or not and state the rule it violates.
- Japanese cars are better than American cars.
- A Mitsubishi is a Japanese car.
- I'm going to show you why seat belts are necessary.
- Are seat belts necessary?
- Wearing a seat belt can save your life.
- Students who work while they are studying to meet a lot of people and their professors also work hard.
- Work-study programs an analysis.
- In this essay, I will compare working on campus and working off-campus.
Activity 3: choose 4 topics to write 4 thesis statements.
2 must have a predictor:
Wild animals endangered speciestransportationocean/ water Climate change world's food production-education forest/ vegetation.
Did you know that we have over 70,000 essays on 3,000 topics in our database?