Depending on the number and type of clauses they contain, sentences are classified as simple, compound, complex, compound-complex.
- Simple Sentences. A simple sentence contains only one independent clause. Without dancing, life would not be fun. A simple sentence can also contain compound elements (subject, verb, object). Evil enters like a needle and spreads like an oak. (compound verb)
- Compound sentences. A compound sentence consists of two or more independent clauses with no subordinate clauses. They are joined with a comma and a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or, nor, so, for, yet) or with a semicolon. He wanted to join the group, but the other members wouldn’t let him. Most singers gain fame through hard work and dedication; Evita, however, found another means.
- Complex sentences. A complex sentence is composed of one independent clause with one or more subordinate clauses. The fur that warms a monarch once warmed a bear. Home is the place where you slip in the tub and break your neck. Talent is what you possess. Dig a well before you are thirsty.
Order custom essay Sentence Structure with free plagiarism report
Whoever gossips to you will gossip about you. Juan can run faster than I can bicycle. When he adopts a creed, a scientist commits suicide. The receptionist knows that you are here. Subordinating Adverbs after before rather than though where although even though since unless whether as if how so that until while than when why because in order that because although Relative Pronouns that how . Other words introducing subordinate clauses who ever whom ever what ever which ever whenever. The above is true in both Spanish and English.
Run-on sentences are a serious problem because they indicate that the writer does not understand basic sentence structure either in Spanish or English. Run-ons are independent clauses (a word group that can stand alone as a complete sentence) that have not been joined correctly. There are two types of run-on sentences. When a writer puts no punctuation and no coordinating conjunction between independent clauses, the sentence is said to be fused. EX: Gestures are a means of communication for everyone they are essential for the hearing paired.
A more common run-on sentence is the comma splice two independent clauses joined with a comma without a coordinating conjunction (and, so, but, for, yet, or, nor). EX: Gestures are a means of communication for everyone, they are essential for the hearing impaired. In other comma splices, the comma is accompanied by a joining word that is not a coordinating conjunction. EX: Gestures are a means of communication for everyone, however they are essential for the hearing impaired. There are four methods of fixing a run-on sentence:
- Use a comma and coordinating conjunction: EX: Gestures are a means of communication for everyone, but they are essential for the hearing impaired.
- Use a semi-colon (if the clauses are related) or a colon or a dash to separate the independent clauses. EX: Gestures are a means of communication for everyone; they are essential for the hearing impaired.
Sometimes the semi-colon is accompanied by a transitional expression. EX: Gestures are a means of communication for everyone; however, they are essential for the hearing impaired. Other common transitions: moreover, nevertheless, for example, in fact, etc. ). If appropriate you may also use a colon or a dash (less formal than the colon): EX: Nuclear waste is hazardous: This is an indisputable fact. 3 Make the clauses into separate sentences. EX: Gestures are a means of communication for everyone. They are essential for the hearing impaired. Restructure the sentence so that one of the clauses becomes subordinate. EX: While gestures are a means of communication for everyone, they are essential for the hearing impaired (Hacker, 2009, 296-308).
Revise any run-on sentences using a technique that you find effective. If a sentence is correct write correct after it. Carlos never drove the vintage cars his father left him, however, he wouldn’t sell them. The volunteers worked hard to clean up after the hurricane, in fact, many of them did not sleep for days. The center of Monterrey is the Macroplaza, this plaza is one of the largest in the world. I ran the three blocks as fast as I could I missed the bus. We didn’t trust her, she had lied before.
If you want to get good grades, consider this advice, don’t wait until the end of the semester to start studying. Juan is a top competitor he has been running for years. The floor around the refreshment stand was sticky, I was lucky to make it away with both shoes on my feet. The streets of Mexico City are dangerous, it is not safe to drive. Are you able endure boredom, then this might be the right career for you. We planned to spend our vacation at Padre Island, however, the hurricane made us come home earlier than we had planned. There was one major reason for his wealth, his grandfather had been a multi-millionaire. President Fox was standing next to the podium, he was waiting for President Bush to introduce him to the press. Mr. Romero is an excellent linguist, he speaks six languages. Somedays I only have money for the bus, lunch is a luxury I cannot afford. The building is being renovated we have no heat or water. The next time an event is canceled because of rain, don’t blame the weatherman, blame nature.
Did you know that we have over 70,000 essays on 3,000 topics in our database?