Methods of Learning: Advantages and Disadvantages
To design a learning activity or a learning program, there is a variety of learning methods which can be implemented to facilitate the learning process.These methods are divided into two main categories , trainer centered and learner centered.In the below table, I have listed different learning methods with the advantages and disadvantages of each one.
Save the time of transferring knowledge.
2. Gives the learners to compare their knowledge with the presented one .
3. Gives the Learner a chance to ask and discuss with the trainer directly.
2. Does not give the learners enough chance to control their own learning because it is trainer centered method
1. Expose the learners to the best practice .
2. Considered as the first step to build the skills.
3. Save the time of sharing knowledge .
1. Unprofessional demonstrators can be a result of poor performance.
2. Does not show the reality on the work site .
Group Discussions, meetings and briefings
1. A quick way of sharing knowledge and skills.
2. Minimize the resistance of change
3. Learners can lead the meetings providing their agendas which meet their needs.
1. Does not involve practical part.
2. Discussions might miss the main topics and waste more time.
3. A few learners might control the discussions while the others are only listeners
1. Learners can practice what they learn and share knowledge.
2. Build the sense of team work within learners .
3. Provide a safe environment for doing mistakes .
1. Might be over simplified , so does not reflect the real work.
2. It requires a feedback from the facilitator.
3. It improves skills only .
1. Provide time flexibility for learners .
2. The learner lead the pace of the learning.
3. Can be accessed in different ways and from different places.
1. Minimize the sense of team work and sharing knowledge with others.
2. Requires an
IT access and good network
3. Boring for some learners styles such as the activists . On the job training
1. Expose the learners to the real work .
2. Gives the learners a chance to practice.
3. Give the learners to share knowledge with experienced employees.
1. Requires an experienced mentor .
2. Cannot be applied in organization where there is a shortage of manpowe .
3. Learners might feel demotivated with a busy mentor or staff.
1. Variety of methods combined together.
2. It addresses all learning styles.
3. Improves the competencies through learning and practice.
1. Very costly in terms of money and time.
2. Requires availability of several learning resources and facilities .
1. Addresses the exact needs of a learner
2. Maximize the learners satisfaction and self-esteem .
1. Very costly because it is one to one approach.
2. Requires an expert coach because it is applied for the management levels in most of the organization.
Criteria of Choosing between learning Methods:
1. Learning Objectives : after analyzing the gaps between the current capabilities and the required capabilities, learning objectives will be generated to fulfill the learning needs.
2. The learning budget: It plays a main role in selecting the methods which are most effective and efficient . Organizations with very limited budget usually use the internal resources
and not interested on the methods which are costly.
3. Timing : the work hours and the availability of manpower are very important criteria in selecting the suitable methods. Sometimes, e-learning is selected due to time restrictions within the organization or the function.
4. Learning resources and materials: facilities, number of learners , learning aids and IT issues are put into consideration to select the suitable learning method.
Learning Resources ,Facilities and Equipments and their Advantages and Disadvantages:
1. Easy to use.
2. Support the structure of learning activity
3. Display photos, charts and statistics.
1. Requires other equipment such as data projector and a computer. 2. Might be boring for some learners styles.
1. Easy to access anywhere any time.
2. Include lots of learning references and materials.
1. Requires good network otherwise the learners will not be able to learn properly. 2. Learners might not be focused to the main topic when using the internet.
1. Interesting for most of the learners .
2. It is not costly and does not need more spaces.
1. Contain some cultural issues.
2. It is not applicable for special needs learners such as deaf or blind learners .
1. Very cheap.
2. Useful for learning activities and preparation.
3. Utilized to get the learners involved in the learning process.
1. Requires a space in the room to be stocked up.
2. Needs clear colors.
3. Not applicable for some learning methods such as e-learning.
Books and Handouts
1. Authentic references for learners.
1. New technology interference .
2. Need space or room for storing.
1. Integrated technology
2. Interested for learner
1. Needs special training for users.
2. Very costly
Classroom or training halls
1. Traditional and useful for group learning .
1. Requires a suitable preparation.
2. Not applicable for e-learning or mobile learning.
Criteria for selecting suitable resources , facilities and equipment for learning activities:
1. Learners factors and learners styles : This selection is a result of analyzing the learners factors and needs such as deaf, blind, activists, theorists..etc.
2. Budget: After considering the assigned budget the suitable resources and facilities will be easy to identified .
3. Legislation : There are some learning legislations and policies which should be into consideration such as safety and health .
4. Nature of the learning activities or the learning methods : For example, e-learning requires the availability of computers or smart phone or devices.
5. Number of learners : This is very important criteria to identify the size of the class or the training hall . In addition, it enable the learning and development practitioner to identify the learning method .