7 C’s Of Effective Business Communication
PRINCIPLE OF EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION – 7C’S
To compose effective written or oral messages, you must apply certain communication principles. These principles provide guideline for choice of content and style of presentation, adapted to the purpose and receiver of your message. These principles are not only limited to a sentence level, they are also applicable to all forms of communications, from mere utterances and sentences to complete documents or presentations.
Order custom essay 7 C`s of Effective Business Communication Critique Essay with free plagiarism report
To some extent the principles overlap because they are based on a common concern for the audience, whether that audience consists of listeners or readers. These principles are called “Seven C’s”, these are completeness, conciseness, consideration, concreteness, clarity, courtesy, and correctness. The Seven C’s are as follows:
1) Completeness Message Receiver- either listener or reader, desire complete information to their question. e. g. suppose you are working with multinational company who is engaging with engineering goods, like A. C.
Now let say one of your major customer wants some technical information regarding “thermostat” (because he wants to convey the same to the end users). In this case you have to provide him complete information in a short p of time. If possible, provide him some extra information which he does not know, in this way you can maintain a good business relation with him, otherwise he may switch to another company. Five W’s: One way to make your message complete is to answer the five W’s.
The five question method is useful when you write requests, announcements, or other informative messages.
For instance, to order (request) merchandise, make clear WHAT you want, WHEN u need it, WHERE it is to be sent. 2) Conciseness Conciseness means “convey the message by using fewest words”. “Conciseness is the prerequisite to effective business communication. ” As you know that all businessmen have very short time. Hence a concise message saves the time and expenses for both the parties. How to achieve the conciseness? For achieving the conciseness you have to consider the following.
- Avoid wordy expression
- Include only relevant material
- Avoid unnecessary repetition.
Avoid Wordy Expression
E. g. Wordy: - at this time. Instead of “at this time” you can just use only a concise word: - NOW, Always try to use “To the point Approach” in business scenario perspective.
Include only relevant information
- Always try to provide only relevant information to the receiver of the message. Let’s say one of your customers requested
- For clients of the company o in reply you should provide simply list of clients at the panel of your company.
- No need to provide detailed business information about client at all.
- Observe the following suggestions to
Include only relevant information.
- Stick to the purpose of message
- Delete irrelevant words
- Avoid long introduction, unnecessary explanation etc.
- Get to the important point concisely.
Avoid un-necessary Repetition
Sometimes repetition is necessary for focusing some special issue. But when the same thing is said without two or three reasons, the message become wordy and boring. That’s why try to avoid Un-necessary repetition. Some ways to eliminate unnecessary words Use shorter name after you have mentioned the long once. e. g. Spectrum communications Private limited use spectrum. Use pronouns or initials E. . Instead of world trade organization use WTO or You can use IT for Information Technology. (Keeping in views that receiver knows about these terms)
3. Consideration Consideration means – To consider the receiver’s Interest/Intention. It is very important in effective communication while writing a message you should always keep in mind your target group consideration is very important “C” among all the seven C’s. Three specific ways to indicate consideration
- Focus on “you” instead of “I” or “We”
- Show audience benefit or interest of the receiver
- Emphasize positive, pleasant facts. Using “you” help you, but over use lead a negative reaction. Always write a message in such a way how audience should be benefited from it.
- We attitude: “I am delighted to announce that we will extend to make shopping more. ”
- You attitude: “You will be able to shop in the evening with the extended hours. ” Readers may react positively when benefit are shown to them. Always try to address his/her need and want. Always show/write to reader………… what has been done so far as his/her query is concerned. And always avoid that his/her need and wants.
Always avoid that has not been done so far.
4. Concreteness It means that message should be specific instead of general. Misunderstanding of words creates problems for both parties (sender and receiver). When you talk to your client always use facts and figures instead of generic or irrelevant information. The following guidelines should help you to achieve the Concreteness.
- Use specific facts and figures
- Choose image building words e. g General He is very intelligent student of class and stood first in the class. e. g. Ali’s GPA in B. Sc Electrical Engineering 2k3-f session was 3. 5/4. 0; he stood first in his class.
- Always write on a very solid ground. It should definitely create good image as well.
5. Clarity Accurately is purpose of clarity In effective business communication the message should be very much clear. So that reader can understand it easily. You should always choose precise words. Always choose familiar and easy words. Construct effective sentences and paragraphs. In business communication always use precise words rather longer statements. If you have a choice between long words and shorter one, always use shorter one.
You should try your level best to use familiar/easy to understand words so that your reader will quickly understand it. Familiar Next familiar words 1-after subsequent 2-home domicile 3-for example e. g. 4-pay remuneration 5-invoice statement for payments
6. Courtesy Knowing your audience allows you to use statements of courtesy; be aware of your message receiver. True courtesy involves being aware not only of the perspective of others, but also their feelings. Courtesy stems from a sincere you-attitude. It is not merely politeness with mechanical insertions of “please” and “Thank you”.
Although Appling socially accepted manners is a form of courtesy. Rather, it is politeness that grows out respect and concern for others. Courteous communication generates a special tone in their writing and speaking. How to generate a Courteous Tone? The following are suggestions for generating a courteous tone: Be sincerely tactful, thoughtful and appreciative. Use expressions that show respect for the others Choose nondiscriminatory expressions be sincerely Tactful, Thoughtful and Appreciative Though few people are intentionally abrupt or blunt, these negative traits are common cause of discourtesy.
Avoid expression like those in the left hand column below; rephrase them as shown in the right-hand column. Tactless, Blunt More Tactful Stupid letter; I can’t understand I should understand it, as there is no confusing word in this Letter, could you please explain it once again? It’s your fault, you did not properly Sometimes my wording is not precise; let me try again read my latest FAX. Thoughtfulness and Appreciation Writers who send cordial, courteous messages of deserved congratulations and appreciation (to a person inside & outside) help to build goodwill. The alue of goodwill or public esteem for the firm may be worth thousands of dollars.
7. Correctness At the core of correctness are the proper grammar, punctuation and spelling. However, message must be perfect grammatically and mechanically. The term correctness, as applied to business messages also mean three characteristics o Use the right level of language o Check the accuracy of figures, facts and words o Maintain acceptable writing mechanics. Use the right Level of Language We suggest that there are three level of language
Take a quick guess:
What kind of writing is associated with each level? What is the style of each? Formal and Informal Words Formal writing is often associated with scholarly writing: doctoral dissertations, scholarly, legal documents, top-level government agreements and other material where formality is demanded. Informal writing is more characteristic of business writing. Here you use words that are short, well-known and conversational as in this comparison list: More Formal Less Formal Participate Join Endeavor try Ascertain find out Utilize Use Interrogate question. Substandard Language Avoid substandard language.
Using correct words, incorrect grammar, faulty pronunciation all suggest as inability to use good English. Some examples follow: Substandard More Acceptable Ain’t isn’t, aren’t Can’t hardly can hardly Aim to proving ai m to prove Desirous to desirous of Stoled stolen. Facts and Figures Accuracy Check Accuracy of Facts, Figures and words it is impossible to convey meaning precisely, through words, from the head of the sender to a receiver. Our goal is to be as precise as possible, which means checking and double-checking and double-checking to ensure that the figures, facts and words you use are correct. A good check of your data is to have another person read and comment on the validity of the material”
- Figures and facts
- Verify your statistical data
- Double-check your totals
- Avoid guessing at laws that have an impact on you, the sender and your
- Have someone else read your message if the topic involves data.
- Determine whether a “fact” has changed over time.
Proper Use of Confusing Words! Our Language (Any) is constantly changing. In fact, even dictionaries cannot keep up with rapid change in our language.
The following words often confusing in usage, an is used before consonants and consonants sounds or a long” u” sound. Use an before vowels. Accept, except accept is a verb and means to receive. Except is a verb or a preposition and relates to omitting or leaving out. Anxious, eager Anxious implies worry, eager conveys keen desire.
These 7 C’s help a person to compose a message in such a way that brings back the positive feedback from the receivers. That’s why it is advice able for everyone to understand and apply these 7C’s whether he is a teacher, doctor, businessman or a student.
on 7 C`s of Effective Business Communication Critique Essay
These 7 C’s of communication must be followed by every business entity and individuals so that the workplace communication can be effective. Communication holds a very important role in any business. Without clear and precise communication a business cannot stand. It is the foundation for any business. What difference does good communication make?
These are as follows: 1 Completeness - The communication must be complete. 2 Conciseness - Conciseness means wordiness, i.e, communicating what you want to convey in least possible words without forgoing the other C’s of communication. 3 Consideration - Consideration implies “stepping into the shoes of others”.
Principles of Effective Communication 2. Effective communication Effective communication takes place only when the listener clearly understands the message that the speaker intended to send. A speaker’s message must be delivered clearly. A listener must be an active listener. Applicable to both written and verbal communication 3.
Concise communication provides short and essential message in limited words to the audience. Concise message is more appealing and comprehensible to the audience. Concise message is non-repetitive in nature.
Did you know that we have over 70,000 essays on 3,000 topics in our database?