Definition of workforce diversity. Workplace diversity is a people issue, focused on the differences and similarities that people bring to an organization. It is usually defined broadly to include dimensions beyond those specified legally in equal opportunity and affirmative action non-discrimination statutes. Diversity is often interpreted to include dimensions which influence the identities and perspectives that people bring, such as profession, education, parental status and geographic location.
Benefits of workforce diversity
Order custom essay Workforce Diversity with free plagiarism report
1)Best available talent.
- Older employees can bring experience and a strong work ethic to the university.
- Lecturers from other countries, often have an exceptional education, here or abroad, in science and more technical fields.
- Universities that provide equal opportunities to all workers can select, interview, screen and hire the most educated and experienced workers.
2)More effective execution.
- Operate more effectively than less-diverse universities due to collective education and experience. Inspire their employees, lecturers and students to perform to the best of their ability.
- Experienced and educated people tend to be better at planning, time management, goal setting, work delegation and projects completed on time. Negative impacts of workforce diversity.
- Lecturers and students that come from different cultural backgrounds have different perspectives on how to handle issues or concerns that arise. No parallel understandings between lecturers, students and workers prohibit effective resolution of conflicts.
- Different countries and different native languages of students and lecturers prohibit clear and meaningful communication between them.
- Train the family of the university on cultural awareness and tolerance of differences to encourage them to openly discuss their different viewpoints on things as opposed to avoiding interaction or getting into conflict.
Examples of workforce diversity in International Islamic University Malaysia. Many lecturers of IIUM come from different countries such as Russia, Japan, Uzbekistan, Bangladesh and so on. Workforce diversity allows IIUM to choose the IONbest lecturers to serve and educate their students. Students of IIUM not only come from local citizens but also come from other countries such as Brunei Darussalam, Middle East countries and others. IIUM only selects the best students to be in this university.
Cite this Page
Workforce Diversity. (2017, Jan 13). Retrieved from https://phdessay.com/workforce-diversity-178943/
Run a free check or have your essay done for you