Despite the several constraints, we gave our all efforts to make this report a meaningful one and in this way we express our deep gratitude as you kindly have given us the scope and assigned the task. We have tried heart and soul to make this case analysis perfect but for time limitation and other difficulties we may be some mistakes. We hope that you will ignore our faults and consider our lacks while judging the report. We enjoy this study and gladly attend any suggestion of you to clarify on any point, if necessary. At last, thanking you very much for assigning us such a pragmatic and interesting topic for preparing the report.
Introduction & Background of The Study
Report is a compulsory requirement for everybody pursuing an BBA degree at the Independent University. We studied a lot of things about GrameenPhone and collected documents in various prospect in this regard. When we were continuing our study, we came to know a lot of things about GrameenPhone because this study attempts to produce a constructive report on recruitment and selection procedure of GrameenPhone.
Haven’t found the relevant content? Hire a subject expert to help you with Grameen Phone Selection Process
Ressons For Choosing GP
Reports play a vital role in the field of communication both in the educational orientation and in practical life. So from this side, it must be better in choosing or selecting the entire organization. Because a well-established organization or company can provide the best materials or documents to prepare a report easily which is very important in BBA. GP is a high ambitious and well-reputed company in Bangladesh currently used by over 1. 3 billion people in some 250 countries. GrameenPhone believes in service, a service that leads to good business and good development. Scope of the Study:
The report covers the procedure of the recruitment and selection and emphasizes the human resource management on some position. The total industry and investment situation of the country is not observed in the report so this report does not actually compare the position of the mobile companies in the context of the total business situation of the country.
Objectives of the Study
The broad objective of this study is to present the GrameenPhone’s entry-level function and practices in the overall industries in Bangladesh.
- The specific objectives were as follows:
- Finding out the current process of GrameenPhone’s Recruitment and Selection.
- Present factors to be considers in Selection Procedure.
- Problems and prospects of Selection Procedure.
- Categories of people/candidates who are mainly recruited.
Methodology of the Study
Two different methodologies had to be designed to complete the parts:
- Information regarding the overall procedure of Recruitment and Selection was gathered from the Internet and different literature survey.
- To get a closer look at what different operators are providing it was necessary to collect different literatures published by the companies.
Another source of information was interviews with different professionals of GP organizations.
Limitations of the Study
- The information that we used to conduct our survey was mostly from secondary studies. So, it was not a perfectly representative sample.
- The major limitation of the report is that it took a very short period of time in preparing this report fully. So ultimately there must be some lacking in its premises.
- Moreover, it was not possible to get all required internal information of the company as these are treated as confidential company information.
Vision of Grameen Phone
To become the largest telecommunication company in the world and reach the hands of every people around the world.
Mission of Grameen Phone
To serve the customer with better quality and retaining existing customers. A Brief Profile of Cell Phone Sector in Bangladesh
Introduction of Cellular Technology
Mobile technology introduced in St. Louis, Mississippi in 1946. From the beginning, mobile technology was very costly and was very rare and the service was limited to a single call and was not satisfied enough. After 1950 period, the cost of the technology become lower and coverage become wider.
USA innovated an AMPS system in 1979, which was not very power full and that, was an analogue system. There were two types of analogue mobile phone system namely NMT & TACS were introduced respectively in North Europe and in UK in 1981. But with the pace of timeall these three analogue systems became unable to fulfill the demand. As a result, after more than one decade of analogue system digital system in mobile phone was introduced in 1992. The name of this technology is Global System for Mobile communications (GSM). More than 2o million subscribers in almost 130 countries worldwide use GSM technology.
CDMA is another digital technology in mobile telecommunications. This GSM system can be said as the digital cellular system, which is fully featured with services like Basic Telephony, Data and Value Added services (VAS). The existing GSM technologies are GSM 900, GSM 1800 and GSM 1900. Cellular Operation in Bangladesh: Bangladesh is one of the least developing countries in the world. It is also reflected in her telecommunication sector. Telecommunication is one of the important parameter to measure a country’s development. In 1988 the telephone density of Bangladesh was only 21 connections per 100 people.
The main reason behind this poor performance is incapability of Bangladesh Telegraph and Telegraph Board (BTTB) to provide connection. Moreover their service quality was very poor. Against this background, Government of Bangladesh (GOB) took a reform program for the sector. The objectives of this reform program were to expand access to telecommunication services all over the country, improve service quality, satisfy all demand for telecommunication and promote efficient operation. The main strategy to achieve these objectives was to introduce private investment and operation in this sector.
Ultimately in 1989, GOB issued license to private operator for provision of cellular, paging and radio trucking with exclusivity for five years services. In this five year contract was extended to thirty years. Ultimately, the evolution of cellular technology is duly justified. In 1989, a 20-year license with a five-year exclusivity was issued to a privatecompany, Bangladesh Telecom Limited (BPTL), for the provision of nationwide cellular telephone services. This license was cancelled and subsequently, Hutchison Bangladesh Telecom Ltd. (HBTL) was awarded the license, which commenced operation in 1991.
HBTL offered a mobile phone to all the Bangladeshi citizens in Dhakawithin a periphery of 26 miles at a charge of Tk. 1. 25 lac and call charge of Tk. 10 (per minute) for in coming calls and the same for outgoing. Response from the consumers was impressive and remained so all through the monarch. HBTL gradually transformed to PBTL and simultaneously developed customer service quality by improving technical infrastructure. However, one of the serious discontinuance from the customers is that, ever-continuing price reduction creates a feeling of deprivation among the older users.
World Telecommunication Industry: The corporate strategies and government policies in the international telecommunications sectors of the United States, the European Union, and Japan is very important to understand the present situation in the world telecom industry. Countries experience different rates of growth in telecommunications revenue in theirdomestic markets. An analysis revealed that the timing of the opening of domestic markets to competition made no difference in the rate of growth. Instead, thelevel of development and rate of overall economic growth were the determining factors.
Trends of the international telecommunications industry are evaluated with strategic options for globalization for smaller countries and carriers. Between 1985 and 1995 telecommunications revenues for Japan and United States have generally grown at rates faster than new line activation or increasing call volume. Tariffs have been restructured, the mix of calls—local, long distance (trunk), and international—has changed, and leased-line and mobile services have grownrelative to traditional switched, wire-line telephony.
Two major trends characterize the international telecommunications industry: Rapid technological advances, and The growing realization that liberalizing telecommunications industries is key to overall industry growth. These two trends hasten the liberalization of telecommunications markets around the world. The role of national governments is changing from that of a direct player to that of policy maker and regulator. The nature of international telecommunications trade is evolving from a bilateral, nation-to-nation framework to a multinational, multilateral company-to-company paradigm.
Major international telecommunications alliances have taken many forms with the potential to dominate segments of international. Nevertheless, demand will increase for smaller firms able to provide local presence and technological expertise. There are various strategic options available to smaller countries and carriers. These strategies range from domestic to regional to international:
- Lead the domestic market in phased liberalization
- Seek opportunities to integrate vertically
- Promote regional opportunities
- Capture a major share of a regional market Expand enhanced services internationally.
Recruitment and Selection of Grameen Phone Introduction
Human Resource Management is a strategic approach of processing or recruiting, developing, maintaining and utilizing the human resources of an organization. If a firm’s competitiveness depends on its employees, then the business function responsible for acquiring, training, appraising and compensating those employees who has to play a bigger roll in the firm’s success. As part of an organization, Human Resource Management must be prepared to deal with the effects of the changing world of work.
For them, this means understanding the implications of globalization, technology changes, work-force diversity, changing skill requirements, continuous improvement initiatives, the contingent work force, decentralized work sites, and employee involvement.
Factors to be considered in Selection Porcedure: Before going to the selection procedure, Grameen Phone should adopt some factors that are considered in selection process.
These factors are:
- Resignation and terminations.
- Quality assurance and nature of Employee.
- Technological and administrative changes of the Employee.
- Financial availability of the candidates.
- Trend analysis
- Using computer and forecasting personnel requirements.
This should be done by the Human Resource Manager of GrameenPhone when forecasting personnel needs. Finally the selected candidates are estimated the volume of output.
Recruitment and Selection Process
GrameenPhone tries to discover industrious and innovative people ready to embark on a challenging career. During search for talent, GrameenPhone carry out a number of activities such as:
- Online Database.
- Advertisement in daily newspapers.
- Accept hard-copy submission of CVs in Human Resource Division.
- Occasionally from Job Fairs.
Recruitment Procedure: GrameenPhone follow comprehensive and extensive selection procedures in search for the most ideal and competent professionals. The testing methods are effectively designed in order to accurately evaluate the required competence and skill for particular jobs.
- GP procedures for recruitment involve the following steps
- Recruitment & Selection Process
- HR needs and Requisition
Department will inform the HR of any vacant position so that HR can co-ordinate / notify the other offices of the vacant position.
Whenever needed, the head of HR will review the available records and database if there is any qualified and suitable candidate available from GrameenPhone’s internal sources or prospective external candidates already identified earlier. In special circumstances and to make a quick decision the head of HR may propose any suitable staff within the GrameenPhone for the position to the respective Unit/Department Head and/or project. Job Description: Recruitment process ideally begins with the analysis of job description and person specification for that job.
A job description and analysis of person specification provide the foundation for stipulating the job title and salary scale of the position. Person specification defines the education, training and experience required by the jobholder. The person specification is vital because the key part of the person specification, established at the beginning, is used in structured selection interview. Job description is the basis of GrameenPhone’s recruitment, selection and placement, training, performance appraisal, salary administration, promotion and other personnel actions for its employees.
The appointing authority and the line manager shall ensure that each employee has an appropriate and updated job description stating clearly the context, purpose, organogram, duties and responsibilities of the employees and person specification. Job description will be prepared and provided to the employee when he/she is appointed, promoted, newly assigned or when deemed necessary.
An effective recruitment always starts with the correct selection of sources of human resources. A recruited employee who has not the right skill cannot perform effectively.
As a result the overall performance level is sure to deteriorate which has significant effect on the company performance. Therefore, GrameenPhone has been on continuous search of effective recruitment sources.
- Internal Sources: It is GrameenPhone’s policy to give preference to appoint internal candidates, provided that the employee is suitably qualified for the vacant or new position and also meets the existing and future requirements. Appointments may be made by the way of promotion, up gradation or transfer with the approval of the authority. As a usual procedure, job vacancies in GrameenPhone will be advertised through internal notices to the concerned offices.
- External Sources: Whenever job vacancies are required to be circulated outside, the main objective will be to attract a pool of candidates to apply from which qualified candidates for job vacancies can be chosen. Here are a number of external sources that is used by the company:
- Newspaper Advertisement: Vacancy announced is circulated by publishing advertisement in the national dailies. The newspapers that are widely circulated are chosen for publishing advertisement.
- Employee Referrals: Employees of the company may refer prospective job seekers to HR department. There are professional and technical jobs, which are frequently harder to fill. Employees with hard-to-find job skills may know others who might meet the desired job requirements and do the same work. In such case, employee referral method may be useful.
- Walk-ins and Write-ins: Often job seekers arrive at HR department in search of a job. They are walk-in people. Write-ins are those who send their curriculum resume for suitable position. Both groups may be asked to fill up an application blank. Their relevant information may be kept in active database file for any suitable position in future.
- Web site: Modern information technology such as web site is also used for advertising job vacancy of different positions.
- Other: Depending on circumstances, other professional / employment agencies, technical institutes and journals may be chosen to give wider coverage of job openings. The role of HR personnel is very important in dealing with external job seekers because the outsider individuals draw an impression about the company on the manner their candidature has been dealt with.
- Application Receiving: HR department collects job applications against each vacancy announcement. There should have a minimum time period for application receiving. The period shouldnormally be around 10 days. All applications are sequentially numbered in HR. Under special circumstances, applicationsafter deadline may be accepted provided the concerned Manager gives written authorization. It is GrameenPhone’s policy to attract as many applicants to apply, provided thatthey meet the pre-requisites of the job. However, those who have been regretted within last six months period are not allowed to apply for whatsoever position in GrameenPhone and within one year, a candidate can not appear for more than two tests / interviews.
- Short Listing: Short listing is done on the basis of appraising information on the application form in the light of job specification of a position. The job criteria are critically reviewed during short listing. The short-listing method is qualitative one where managerial judgment plays important role. Before short listing of candidates for tests, job criteria are set by HR and line manager.
There are general and technical job criteria that a candidate has to meet for consideration of next step of selection. HR determines general criteria while line manager determines technical criteria. Both the types of the criteria are important; however, it is the nature of job that determines which type of criteria should give more priority.
Evaluating the followings does short listing
Whether the candidates have the required educational qualification, Relevant job experience and required skills: How far the candidate’s most recent job experiences and skills match the job requirements of the position.
The candidate may have the irrelevant job experiences and skills that is not considered during short listing. GrameenPhone follows a standard set rule of short listing of candidates. For one position the number of candidates for written test should not be more than 8. The number of candidates in the oral test should not be more than 4-5. Administering tests and interview After short listing of prospective candidates, appropriate employment tests such as written tests, oral tests or any other tests as deemed fit are arranged to assess candidates’ suitability for the position. Through the test selected psychological factors such as intelligence, aptitude, temperament and attitude of the candidates are measured / observed.
The main focuses of employment tests are on Job related questions to assess in-depth knowledge of the candidates
- Assessment of mental ability, reasoning, memory etc.
- Assessment of potentiality and ability to learn.
- Proficiency in performing tasks.
- Assessment in line with job analysis.
The selection is made on the basis of successive hurdle approach. The candidates are rejected following each of the stage or test being administered.
HR drafts the written and oral test questionnaires. A set of questions of technical nature is drafted by line mangers and sent to HR. Few questionnaires from that list is included in the test by HR as random basis. While finalizing test question, HR considered the job requirements of the position and maintains relevance, consistency and standard on the pattern of questions. The type of question depends on the nature of the position. Usually a combination of multiple and narrative type of questions is set in the written test.
HR exclusively checks all multiple type and non- technical narrative type of answers, while the line manager checks the narrative type of technical part. HR does the compilation of score in written test. It is the responsibility of HR to select and call candidates for subsequent tests based on the performance of written test. The minimum qualifying score in the written test is 45%. Candidates who have qualified in the written test are invited for the next selection test.
The candidates who have appeared for written test are briefed about GrameenPhone just before the test.
HR organizes a half an hour presentation on the following topics:
- The Company profile.
- The present considerations, goals and targets of GrameenPhone.
- The growth of GrameenPhone in the present market.
- The brief job description of the position.
- Type of the written test and evaluation of the result.
Interview Steps: Selection interview is an in-depth discussion between interviewer and interviewee.
An interview Board/Selection Committee is formed comprising of the following personnel: Line Manager Unit/Departmental Head Head of HRD
HR processes all recruitment, however, for some senior management level position, outside recruitment may be permissible. Executive Search/ Professional Consulting Firms may be contacted by HR for this purpose. The interview board members ask questions that are relevant to the performancesof the job including questions regarding required skills. The type of questionsmay be mixed of open-ended, behavior-oriented; competency based and stresses type questions. The nature of questions varies according to the level of position. The interview board members rank all candidates and recommend candidates best suited for them.
The basis of preliminary selection is marks obtained in oral tests and their judgment about the candidates fit for the position. The minimum acceptable score in the oral test is 4 in the 1-8 rating scale. The recommendation to be made does not necessarily be in favor of the top ranked candidate because the board member may be convinced in evaluating overall performance and background of the another close candidate. A consensual recommendation is made and forwarded to HR along with all papers for next course of action. The board members signed the Employment Approval Form.
In GrameenPhone, the job offer is contingent on passing medical examination conducted by the Company nominated diagnostic center. The medical examination is conducted once preliminary decision for recruitment is made but the employment offer has not yet given. The purpose for a medical examination is to obtain information on the health status of the applicant being considered for employment and to determine whether the applicant is physically and mentally capable of performing the job. The cost of medical examination is borne by the company.
Information and Reference Check
Once a preliminary selection decision is made, HR verify certain information as provided in the job application such as educational degree, work experience, last employment status. The purpose of reference check is to obtain factual information confidentially about a prospective employee and seeking opinions from professional referees and previous employer about his/her suitability for the job. Final Selection and Appointment Offer: Based on positive report on health status from the medical center, and positive reference check, the candidate is selected for appointment.
At this stage, the selected candidate is offered employment with GrameenPhone. The appointment authority of GrameenPhone issues an appointment letter to the selected candidates. The appointment letter includes:
- Job title, Grade/Step and Salary
- Nature of appointment
- Place of posting
- Name of section or department
- Effective date of appointment
- Probationary period, conditions of confirmation and notice period
- Ending date of employment (applicable for contract employee)
- GrameenPhone standard terms and conditions
A current job description is also attached with the appointment letter. The appointment letter and job description will become valid only after signing by the Director HR and the employee, in the space provided for the purpose.
Weaknesses of Selection Process
GrameenPhone faced some problems of selection process while maintaining its recruitment procedure. Although there is no process without lacking, GrameenPhone covers the weaknesses with soft-touch-smile. The weaknesses that the GrameenPhone faced are as follows:
- Requirement not matched.
- Double or triple CVs dropped by the candidates for getting opportunity cost.
- Given wrong information.
- Unreachable Mobile or Phone numbers.
- Age factor.
- Already working.
- Salary range.
- Confusion about contract position.
- Reference problem.
- Office proficiency.
These are the problems that GrameenPhone faced in selection procedure. Sometimes it creates a serious problem in the way of selection but for the provision of the office proficiency, it must be overcome by the authority. Major Reasons of Recruitment: Recruiting efforts are more successful when the recruiters themselves are carefully chosen and trained.
Some employers use a recruiting yield pyramid to calculate the number of applicants they most generate to hire the required number of new employees. The following figure shows it. 50 New hires 100 Offers made (2:1) 150 Candidates interviewed (3:2) 200 Candidates invited (4:3) 1200 Leads generated (6:1) The recruiting and selecting process can best be envisioned as a series of hurdles, specifically, recruiting and selecting require:
- Doing employment planning and forecasting to determine the duties of thepositions to be filled.
- Building a pool of candidates for the job.
- Having the applicants fill out application forms and perhaps undergo aninitial screening interview.
- Utilizing various selection techniques such as tests, background investigations, and identify viable job candidates.
- Sending to the supervisor responsible for the job.
Having the candidate(s) go through one or more selection interviews withthe supervisor and other relevant parties for the purpose of finally determining to which candidates(s) an offer should be made. During the process of recruitment and selection, GrameenPhone always prefer thebest categories of candidates to its finalized procedure.
For this, the production of services of GrameenPhone is best. The best categories’ people and the highest educated candidates of students are engaged to GrameenPhone whose main aim is to give the country best services. People of different disciplines and activities are getting engaged with GP. Normally GrameenPhone recruit the experienced personnel to its senior level positions. In spite of that, the people who have minimum experience of 1-2 years are also getting employment in this company. Another types of people are currently getting employment opportunities in different units of GrameenPhone.
They are the students of different Public and Private Universities. The work on the hourly basis and get a remuneration of Tk. 16,000 to 18,000. In the near future, GrameenPhone works with full swing by taking the hands of largest educated personnel’s so that it can make a contribution in the country’s mind and side by side to the heart of the rural and urban people. Summary: Recruitment and selection a vital role-played by the Human Resource Division of GrameenPhone. During its recruitment and selection procedure primary screening are taken through an advertisement.
Then the HR division collects the CVs from the pool of candidates and makes sorting on the basis of education, experiences and out looking appearance. After the preliminary steps, they call for set in the exam that is called Employment Test. After getting the satisfactory marks, they are again call for interview where they are introduce with their job categories and expected salaries. When the HR getting the confirmation from the candidates, they send them for the medical examination and then hiring decision. After the placement, the role of HR is ended.
But this is not the end; it is the beginning of the process. There are some weaknesses of HR through its recruitment and selection procedure. But GrameenPhone’s HR handles it with dedication. Findings and Analysis By analyzing the procedure of Grameen phone’s recruitment and selection procedure we can see that the HR division first collects the CVs from the pool of candidates and makes sorting on the basis of education, experiences and out looking appearance. After the preliminary steps, they call for set in the exam that is called Employment Test.
After getting the satisfactory marks, they are again call for interview where they are introduce with their job categories and expected salaries. When the HR getting the confirmation from the candidates, they send them for the medical examination and then hiring decision. After the placement, the role of HR is ended. But this is not the end; it is the beginning of the process. There are some weaknesses of HR through its recruitment and selection procedure. But GrameenPhone’s HR handles it with dedication. Grameen phone is recruiting the best quality employees in the world.
Conclusion and Recommendation
An intense competitiveness has hit the very prospective and fast growing telecommunication sector in Bangladesh, specially the mobile telecom sector. And the credit goes to GrameenPhone, the eight years old private operator with new view of business solution and some other government-backed operators who have come to the market bringing down the cost to afford mobile communication. As an electric communication media, telecommunication industry makes people’s life more smooth, fast and enjoyable.
But it seems few operators in the country are capable of meeting the growing demand of the city dweller’s need for communication. The market of mobile telephony still has great areas of unmet demand which if addressed properly could delight the consumers. GrameenPhone is a profit oriented mobile company seems together the highest energetic personnel who can serve better for the customer as well as human resource. Human Resource Management must be prepared to deal with the effects of the changing world of work.
For them, this means understanding the implications of globalization, technology changes, work-force diversity, changing skill requirements, continuous improvement initiatives, the contingent work force, decentralized work sites, and employee involvement. This approach applies to GrameenPhone’s humanresources. Grameen Phone is a service company, one of it’s major objective is to ensure quality service to the customers, Generally Smart Loyalty agrees that in order to grow in business it is important to know which customers at all stages of commitment are thinking about the company, the products, services and competition.
Furthermore, cellular service is a growing business in Bangladesh, competition is also increasing. Therefore, it is very important to retain and maintain exiting relationships with the subscribers. For this reason Human Resource Management of GrameenPhone plays and important role through its procedure of Recruitment and Selection because without recruit and select the most qualified employees, it cannot service better. A right person in the right place can do something better than the others.
So the functions of Human Resource Division of GrameenPhone perform better. When a candidate appears in the recruitment and selection process, he/she may face several numbers of stares which is enough for his/her performance evaluation. From this, an evaluator can identify which categories of employee he/she is. After that he/she can be placed in the different unit under his/her ability or skills of works. In this way an employee can give the nation a better service according to their needs and earn profit to the attested company. That is doing GrameenPhone.
Nowadays, GrameenPhone’s Human Resource Division tries to follow the Multinational Human Resource Management strategies to adopt the international market, policy and prospects. Above all telecommunication industry is inevitably ministering our mobility, enhancing intensification of businesses, information systems, utilizing resources, pressing forward our economy & escalating social sensitivity One of the strongest sides of GrameenPhone is its customer’s satisfaction, human resource development and performance in the country and outside the country.
An organization without comments is like a ship without a rudder. So I arrange the recommendation part under the following ways:
- GP should earn flexibility to be able to reduce the bill, if necessary. But currently they should reduce the billing rate as others are offering lower than them.
- Capacity of the helpline should be increased in the pick hours.
- Different programs should be taken to educate the subscribers regarding different essential features of mobile phone.
- For the purpose of raising subscribers in the urban area, different levels of local employees should be increased.
- GrameenPhone should take extensive program to build a positive image among their users. So for that reason experienced persons should be hired or made by them with functional selection process.
- GrameenPhone should offer some special packages in the first week of every month so that it can get every customer and every customer must attach with products.
- Human capitals should be used in a particular sector without misused. Because Today’s Human Resources is related to that’s Human Capitals, which earns revenue.
- Unfair touch of internal pressure towards Human Resources should be stopped right now for the betterment and long ability of the company.
- GrameenPhone must initiate the availability of employees as well as employment.
- GrameenPhone Limited (2004-2005), News Letter.
- GrameenPhone Limited, Image Guide Book & Intranet.
- V. A. Zeithmal and Mary Jo Bitner, Service Marketing, International Edit ion (1996), The MacGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. , New York.
- T. A. J. Nicholson, Measuring Consumer Service and Managing Delivery.
- James Brian Quinn, Jordan J. Baruch and Penny Cushman Paquette, Technolo gy in Services, Scientific American (December 1987).
- Earl Naumann and Kathleen Giel, Customer Satisfaction Measurement and Ma nagement. (1978)
- Web Site: www. grameenphone. com
- Grameen Phone Ltd. , Annual Report 2002-05.
- GrameenPhone Ltd. , Human Resource Division-July-2005, Divisional Annual report.
- GrameenPhone Ltd, Customer Management Division-July-2005, Divisional Ann ual Report. William P. Anthony, Pamela L. Perrewe, K. Michele Kacmar,(Florida State Universi ty,1993), A Strategic Approach, 3rd Ed. , Human Resource Management, pp. 233-290.
Haven’t found the relevant content? Hire a subject expert to help you with Grameen Phone Selection Process