The factors that contribute to this problem rooted at their differenced in their cultures. These factors include socio-cultural diversity, displayed through their communication style, interpersonal space and symbolic behavior. The two cultures have met that resulted to unexpected reaction and behavior among them. Every member had set a mind set right before the meeting; they prepared the best program according to what they believe in, but came up differently. The context of the communication that has to begin was not anticipated and pre-organized. How to improve intercultural communication.
The suggestions to be made are based on Kottak and Kozaitis as stated in their book; and, it is to be done by undergoing different processes namely: stereotyping, enculturation, acculturation and cultural relativism. 5 Stereotyping is a process about certain groups or people. The concept suggested that one has to be acquainted with the culture of other people by acquiring knowledge through research. Second is enculturation. This is a process of socialization to adapt to one’s society to establish familiarity and understanding of how people from different culture communicate with each other. Third is acculturation.
This process is adjusting and adapting new and different culture which can be acquired through integration and assimilation or absorption of new culture and giving up old one; at least, during intercultural communication. And lastly, everyone must assume responsibility for the kind of communication they practice. This is cultural relativism. It is accepting that every values of the society are of equal importance; one has to establish desirable attitude towards other culture. Conclusion Intercultural communication within the context of the global workplace is a necessity in order to do great deal to ensure success of business transaction.
Order custom essay Causes of communication breakdown with free plagiarism report
It is a skill that must be learned; a part of integrating one self to the demand of globalization. Its goal is to lessen differences between cultures to culture and promote rapid growth economically and socially in this world. According to one source, “those that do well working with other cultures usually demonstrated open-mindedness, inquisitiveness, patience and self-awareness. ”
He also added, “Working in the global workplace have positive effect on individual and companies… we are all working in an interconnected global economy and it is important to build good relationships with people from other cultures.
This leads to better business. ”
- Kwintessential Ltd. http://www. kwintessentail. co. uk/cultural- services/articles/intercultural communication-global-workplace. html.
- Elaine Winsters. “Cultural Issues in Communication. ” http://www. bena. com/ewinters/culiss. html.
- Kottak and Kozaitis, (2003) On being different: Diversity and Multiculturalism in the North American Mainstream. (2nd Edition) [Electronic Version]. New York: McGraw Hill. p.. 12 6.
- Kwintessential Ltd. http://www.kwintessentail. co. uk/cultural- services/articles/intercultural communication-global-workplace. html
- Kottak and Kozaitis, (2003) On being different: Diversity and Multiculturalism in the North American Mainstream. (2nd Edition) [Electronic Version]. New York: McGraw Hill. Kwintessential Ltd. http://www. kwintessentail. co. uk/cultural- services/articles/intercultural communication-global-workplace. html
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. http://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/column-one#coumn-one Winsters, Elaine. “Cultural Issues in Communication. ” http://www. bena. com/ewinters/culiss. html.
Did you know that we have over 70,000 essays on 3,000 topics in our database?