EICHER SCHOOL HOLIDAY HOMEWORK CLASS – ENGLISH
Read the newspaper article and answer the questions that follow: Ban is the correct move 10 Feb 2009, Vikram Sinha The move by the central government to finally introduce an amendment to the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, prohibiting the use of cell phones while driving, has materialized. It also ensures that there are no loopholes left in the law by including hands-free sets in the ban . Doubtless, there will be those who claim that such devices are safe since they free both hands for driving. It is a false claim.
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Thw Winter Holiday Homework
just from $13,9 / page
There is an assumption that it is the physical hindrance caused by conversing on the phone while driving that is the main safety hazard. Rather, the issue is the mental distraction of the driver. The US is pushing all its states to implement a similar ban. For evidence, it cites several studies, such as one by the university of Utah, which prove that using hands-free devices is as dangerous as speaking on cell phone without them. Another study cited by the report establishes why this so. It states that conversing with a fellow passenger is not dangerous and many instead lead to greater safety.
The reason for this is simple enough . a co-passenger is likely to keep an eye on the road, adjust or stop danger. A person at the other end of a phone connection cannot do this. The conservation will remain unchanged, demanding the driver’s attention and lessening his focus on the road at the moment when he might need it the most. The introduction of such a specific law in India is long overdue. And now that one is finally being introduced, the Ministry of Road Transport and highways is taking the correct step by being thorough. [ source: TOI 10 Feb,2009] 2. 1
‘It is a false claim’ ( para 1). What is the false claim?
The claim that
- the amendment is finally being introduced
- co-drivers can help a driver avoid accidents
- all cell phones can create distractions for drivers
- hand- free phones can be safely used when driving
What is the usual assumption of people?
- Conversing on a cellphone causes maximum accidents.
- Using a phone while driving does not cause any difficulty
- Mental distractions are more harmful than physical distractions.
These bans should only be implemented in US. and 2
According to the passage, in what way is the driver talking to a co-passenger less risky as compared to talking on phone?
- Talking to a co-passenger increases the concentration of the driver.
- Talking to a co-passenger keeps a driver awake in long drives.
- Co- passengers will stop the conversation and warn the driver of danger.
Co-passengers can answer the phone calls
- ‘The US is pushing all its states to implement a similar ban’ Here ‘similar ban’ refers to
- Use of cell phones while driving
- Talking to co- passengers while driving
- Use of both cell-phones and hands- free devices while driving
None of the above
Choose the word from the passage that means the same as “ strictly not allowed”
Prepare a book review on the class library / school library book you have read based on the following points:
- Name of the book
- About the author
Write a paragraph in your own words on each of the following
- Preparation of soil.
- Q5. Why weeds should be removed before they produce flowers and seeds?
- Q6. Why is weeding necessary? Chem
- Q1. State the different ways to stop fire.
- Q2. Why a gas burner does has holes surrounding it (on outside)?
- Q3. Cooking utensils acquire the coating of a black powdery substance if kept on yellow flame of the burner. Why?
- Q4. Draw a well labeled diagram to show the different regions of flame. Phy
- Q1. What is the purpose of L. H. C? (Large Hadron Collider)
- Q2. How are charges developed here?
- Q3.Write two areas where problems are coming LHC?
- Q4. What discovery it will make once it becomes successful?
- Q5. Write a short note on LHC.
Collect information on Durban ,South Africa Earth Summit held this year. ? The information has to be pasted in the class note books. ? Students will be graded on the work submitted. S. kt Do pg . 77 to 81 in Assignment. Hindi (Do page num 117 and 135 from assignment) MATHS 1. Express the following as the product of two factors:- i) 18x2 + 24x + 8 ii) 25t2 + 10t + 1 iii) 9u2 - 6u + 1. Evaluate (48x2 + 30x + 3) ? 16x + 3) Divide :- i) a6 + 2a3b3 – 3b6 by a3 – b3 ii) 4x4 + 1 by 2x2 + 2x + 1. Check whether x -2 is a factor of x3 – 8 A certain sum of simple interest becomes double in 20 years. In how many years will it become four times? If the C. P of 8 articles is equal to S. P of 6 articles, find the gain %. What sum of money will amount to 45582. 25 at 6[pic] p. a in 2 years, interest being compounded annually? A cubical container is 15 cm long. The volume of container is 5. 4 cm3. Find the area of its end. Due to rainfall, a square terrace of length 9m is filled with water up to a height of 6 cm.
How many litres of water has accumulated on the terrace? Find the value of x, if i) 2x = (6)2 - (4)2 ii) 6x = (23)2 – (17)2 If the area of rectangular field is 21 x2 – 7x and one of its sides is 7 x,what is its other side ? 12. Find the greatest no. of seven digits which is perfect square. What is the square root of this number? A decimal fraction is multiplied by itself. If the product is 251953. 8025, find the fraction. 14. Find the volume of a cube whose total surface is 486 cm2 ? Multiply - 3x2y by (7x3y – 5xy2). Verify the product by taking x = -2, y = -1.
Remember. This is just a sample.
You can get your custom paper from our expert writers