A SWOT analysis is a tool a business uses to plan and focus on key issues. It is similar to a personal SWOT analysis where you would focus on your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats but instead you perform the SWOT on a company. Strengths and weaknesses are internal factors.
For example: A strength for a business could be: a new, innovative product or service location of your business quality processes and procedures any other aspect of your business that adds value to your product or service.
A weakness could be: lack of marketing expertise or quality goods or services damaged reputation Opportunities and threats are external factors.
Order custom essay SWOT Analysis for Markham Leisure Centre with free plagiarism report
For example: An opportunity could be: a developing market such as the Internet. Mergers, Joint ventures or strategic alliances moving into new market segments that offer improved profits a new international market a market vacated by an ineffective competitor
A threat could be: a new competitor price wars with competitors a competitor has a new, innovative product or service competitors have superior access to channels of distribution taxation is introduced on your product or service
Performing a SWOT Analysis on an Organization
The Markham Leisure Centre has hired you to help them with their marketing decision making. Perform a SWOT analysis on The Markham Leisure Centre, based upon the following issues: Read each statement below carefully and then using the chart attached write the number of each statement in the appropriate box. For example, if you believe, numbers 1, 3 and 7 are strengths; write those numbers in the "strengths" box. Next to each number explain FULLY why it falls into that category.
- The Centre is located within a two-minute walk of the main bus station, and is a fifteen-minute ride away from the local Go-train station.
- There is a competition standard swimming pool; although it has no wave machines or whirlpool equipment as do competing local facilities.
- It is located next to one of the largest shopping centers in Markham.
- It is one of the oldest centers in the area and needs some SWOT Analysis By Austerity last six years, local residents have more money to spend on leisure activities.
- There has been a substantial decrease in the birth rate over the last ten years in the area.
- In general people are living longer and there are more local residents aged ever fifty-five now than ever before.
- After a heated argument with the manager of a competing leisure centre, the leader of a respected local scuba club is looking for a new venue. (location)
- The local authority is considering propagating all local leisure centre by the year 2007. (It will no longer be owned by the Town of Markham)
- Press releases have Just been issued to confirm that Markham Leisure Centre is the first centre in the area to be awarded quality assurance standard ISO 9002.
- A private Joke between staff states that if you want a day-off from work that you should order a lunch from the Center's cafe, which has never made a profit.
- The Centre has been offered the latest sporting craze.
- Markham Leisure Centre has received a grant to fit special ramps and changing rooms to accommodate the local disabled.
- It is widely acknowledged that the Markham has the best-trained and most respected staff of all of the centers in York Region.
Knowledge: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats are properly categorized. Analysis is meaningful. The analysis serves as a good basis for the development off marketing plan. Thinking 110 Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats relate to the Markham Leisure Centre.
Analysis is clear and thoughtful and is based on market needs competition and any other relevant matters. A well-developed explanation of each shows what Markham Leisure Centre does well and identifies both present and potential weaknesses. Application Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats apply specifically to the Markham Leisure Centre. A great deal of critical thinking is obvious. The chart is of appropriate detail and is well developed. Appears that the student has carefully analyzed the thoughts collected and has drawn appropriate conclusions.
Overall SWOT is customer focused. An assessment of the market, demographics and the economy are included. Work is completed neatly, is well written, there are no spelling/grammatical errors. Chart is logically organized. There is precise and complex vocabulary used. Sentences are properly written. Your thoughts are clear and thought-provoking. The voice of the student as the writer is evident.
Did you know that we have over 70,000 essays on 3,000 topics in our database?