Mount Athosis a mountain on the peninsula of the same name in Macedonia, of northern Greece, called in Greek Agion Oros transliterated frequently as Hagion Oros, or in English, “ Holy Mountain ” . It is a topographic point of 20 Eastern Orthodox monasteries and is good known for the fact that it is a self-governed cloistered province of the sanctum mountain.
The lone manner one can see the mountain is by boat.
Merely males are allowed to see and are required to hold a particular entryway license. If one wants to populate in the “ Garden of the Virgin ” he should be portion of the Eastern Orthodox Church and must be over 18 old ages old. However, there are non merely Christians that live on saddle horse Athos. There are besides a figure of Albanians who besides work on the Holy mointain. There are guards that keep the order, constabulary and Coast Guard that besides observe the order on the mountain. There presence is really discreet.
The 20 monasteries are:
- Megistis Lavras monastery
- Vatopediou monastery
- Iviron monastery – built by Georgians
- Helandariou monastery – Serbian
- Dionysiou monastery
- outloumousiou monastery
- Pantokratoros monastery
- Xiropotamou monastery
- Zografou monastery – Bulgarian
- Dochiariou monastery
- Karakalou monastery
- Filotheou monastery
- Simonos Petras monastery
- Agiou Pavlou monastery
- Stavronikita monastery
- Xenophontos monastery
- Osiou Grigoriou monastery
- Esphigmenou monastery
- Agiou Panteleimonos monastery – Russian
- Konstamonitou monastery
However I am traveling to speak about 5 of them. The first 1 is the monastery of Great Lavra.It is the first monastery built on Mount Athos. . It is found by Athanasius in AD 963.
Athanasius, began the building of the edifices in 963, harmonizing to the will of his friend and Byzantine Emperor Nikephoros II Phokas who funded the undertaking. Nikephoros had promised Athanasius that he would shortly became a monastic. However, he died before he could maintain his promise. The emperors gave the monastery many lands of belongings including the island of Saint Eustratius and the Monastery of Saint Andreas in Thessaloniki.. In 1655, the Patriarch Dionysios III, who besides became a monastic, donated all his luck to Great Lavra..
Treasures found in Lavre Monastery:
The library of the monastery is located behind the chief church. It contains 2,116 Grecian manuscripts and 165 codices. Among them manuscripts of the New Testament: Codex Coislinianus, Codex Athous Lavrensis, Uncial 049, Uncial 0167, and small letters 1073, 1505, 2524, 1519. This aggregation is one of the richest aggregations of Grecian manuscripts in the universe.
Some of the most of import artifacts found in the vestry are a manuscript of a Gospel with a aureate screen. This is a gift from Nikephoros II Phokas.
Hilandar Monasteryis a Serbian Orthodox monastery on Mount Athos in Greece. It was founded in 1198 by the Serbian Saint Sava and his male parent, Grand Prince Stefan Nemanja. It is called “ The Serbian monastery ” because its laminitiss are Serbs and first monastics were besides Serbes.. . Hilandar does non hold an archimandrite, but an under-abbot. The Mother of God through her Icon of Three Hands ( Trojerucica ) , is considered as the mother superior.
Two mediaeval Bulgarian royal charters, the Virgino Charter and the Oryahov Charter, have been found in Hilandar ‘s library. After the autumn of Serbia and Bulgaria under Ottoman regulation, the inflow of Serbian monastics decreased at the disbursal of Bulgarians. From the 17th to the nineteenth century, Hilandar was preponderantly Bulgarian-populated: in his history of 1745, the Russian pilgrim Vasily Barsky writes that the monastics of Hilandar were all Bulgarians. Ilarion Makariopolski, Sophronius of Vratsa and Matey Preobrazhenski have all lived at that place, and it was in this monastery that Saint Paisius of Hilendar began his radical Slavonic-Bulgarian History.
TheSaint George the ZograforZograf Monasteryis a Bulgarian Orthodox monastery on Mount Athos ( the “ Holy Mountain ” ) in Greece. It was founded in the late 9th or early tenth century by three Bulgarians from Ohrid. It is inhabited by Bulgarian Orthodox monastics.
The monastery ‘s name is derived from a 13th or fourteenth century icon of Saint George that is believed to hold non been painted by a human manus ( zograf ( os ) in Grecian agencies “ painter ” ( from zoe= ” life ” and grafos= ” Scribe ” ) and to possess wonder-working powers.
The earliest written grounds of the monastery ‘s being day of the months from 980. Since it was the lone Bulgarian Monastery on Mount Athos the Bulgarian swayers supported it. The Zograf Monastery has besides received land gifts by Byzantine ( the first giver being Leo VI the Wise ) , Serbian, and Rumanian swayers.
The Zograf Monastery ‘s library is of a major importance to the Bulgarian civilization. It preserves mediaeval manuscripts such as a fifteenth century transcript of the passional of Saint Naum of Ohrid, the 14th-century passional of Saint Paraskevi, the original unsmooth transcript of Paisius of Hilendar ‘s Istoriya Slavyanobolgarskaya and the History of Zograf. There can besides be found 388 manuscripts in Slavic and 126 In Greek.. Two medieval Bulgarian royal charters, the Zograf Charter and the Rila Charter, have been discovered in the monastery ‘s library.
Stavronika monastery is an Eastern Orthodox monastery at the cloistered province of Mount Athos in Greece, dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
The monastery keeps a widely known fourteenth century icon of Saint Nicholas, known as “ Streidas ” because when it was by chance discovered at the underside of the sea, an oyster had stuck at the brow of St. Nicholas. Harmonizing to the myth, when the monastics of Stavronikita removed the oyster, the saint ‘s brow bled.
Stavronikita has a aggregation of many sanctums relics.. The monastery has a aggregation of 171 manuscripts, out of which 58 are written on parchment. Some of the manuscripts bear noteworthy iconography and ornament.
St. Panteleimon Monasteryis a Russian Orthodox monastery built on the south-west side of the peninsula of Mt. Athos in Greece. It is the largest of the 20 monasteries on the Holy mountain..
The monastery was founded by several monastics from Kiev Rus in the eleventh century. That ‘s why it is known as ‘Rossikon ‘ , and traditionally it was inhabited by Kiev and subsequently by Russian Orthodox monastics. It was recognized as a separate monastery in 1169.
The monastery prospered in the 16th and 17th centuries because it was extravagantly sponsored by the Tsars of Moscovy. It declined dramatically in the eighteenth century to the point that there were merely two Russian and two Bulgarian monastics left by 1730.
The library contains 1,320 Grecian manuscripts and another 600 Slavonic 1s, every bit good as 25,000 printed books. In add-on, the library has a few priceless relics, such as the caput of Saint Panteleimon, one of the most popular saints in Russia.