The main headquarters is located in Shah Lam, Clangor. They also known as Standards and Industrial Research Institute of Malaysia (SCRIM). Their first operation was on September 1, 1996 via corporations scheme of standards and industrial research institute, initiated by the government with the vision to be a corporation of choice for technology and quality.
VISION & MISSION Vision:
A Premier Total Solution Provider in Quality and Technology Innovation Mission: As a Leader in Quality and Technology Development, we: Efficiently deliver customized technology and quality solutions to industry and government, and support inclusive growth through innovations Enhance customers' business imitativeness and growth through applied industrial research and technology Facilitate trade, and enhance health, safety, environment and customer confidence through quality, standards and conformity assessment
Order custom essay SIRIM Background & SWOT with free plagiarism report
The history of SCRIM BERTHA started in 1964, when the Government of Malaysia directed the Minister of Commerce and Industry to make a study of the establishment of a national standards organization. This is in response to the urgent necessity of adopting the principles of standardization in light of Malaysia's accelerating industrial development. As a result, the Standards Institution of Malaysia (SIMI) was initially established as a Government department under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry in early 1966. In October 1966, the Standards Act No: 76, 1966 was passed in Parliament making SIMI the national standards body. SIMI was governed by the Standards Council.
The Standards Act provides the Standards Council with independent authority for the declaration of standards and the issuance of certification mark licenses. In 1974, the National Action Council decided that SIMI be merged with the National Institute for Scientific and Industrial Research (NISEI) to arm the Standards and Industrial Research Institute of Malaysia (SCRIM). As a result of this decision, SCRIM was established as a statutory body under the Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment by the SCRIM (Incorporation) Act, 1975 SCRIM Background & SOOT By fans equipped to expand its scope of operations in line with the rapid advancement of industrialization in Malaysia.
In view of rapidly changing market needs as a result of the accelerating national industrialization and globalization of markets, there was a need to amend the SCRIM (Incorporation) Act 1975. This will provide necessary legibility for SCRIM to respond to these changes. The Amendments to the SCRIM (Incorporation) Act, approved by Parliament, came into effect on 24 July 1993. The Amendments allow SCRIM to undertake commercial operations through the formation of Joint-venture or wholly owned subsidiaries. Under this Amendment, the 24- member SCRIM Council was replaced by a 13-member SCRIM of which six were from the public sector and seven from the private sector.
The new SCRIM Board structure enables greater accountability and efficiency, and further strengthen the linkages between SCRIM and the industry. N 1 September 1996, SCRIM was corporations to be known as SCRIM Bertha. SCRIM Bertha was incorporated under the Companies Act, vested with all the rights, privileges and obligations of SCRIM. ROLE & FUNCTIONS SCRIM Bertha as the national organization of standardization and quality, and as the prime mover in industrial research and development acts as a catalyst in bringing about national economic dynamism through excellence in technology and international acceptance of Malaysian products and services. Their mission is to enhance their customers' competitiveness through technology and quality, and fulfill he needs of the shareholders.
As such its role is to act as: A champion of quality The national technology development corporation Vehicle for technology transfer A provider of institutional and technical infrastructure for the Government While their functions includes: To promote and undertake scientific industrial research To boost industrial efficiency and development To provide technology transfer and consultancy services To develop Malaysian standards and to promote standardization and quality assurance for greater competitiveness To enhance public and industrial welfare, lath and safety
Strength 1) Able to create, innovate high quality products With over forty years of experience and expertise, SCRIM has been the government's mandated machinery for research and technology development, and the national champion of quality. SCRIM has always played a major role in the development of the country's private sector.
Together with their industry partners, SCRIM Bertha has innovativeness worldwide. By continuously reinventing the way they do things, SCRIM ensure that they will to be remain market-driven, flexible, cost-effective, and expensive to their clients.
2) Engineer learned from past failures to produce better technology product SCRIM focus on discovering, learning and developing new technologies to help businesses compete better through new innovation that comes from past failures. By tapping into their expertise and knowledge base, small and medium businesses collaborate with scientists everyday in their quest for improvement in the manufacturing, technology and services sectors.
3) International recognition for the National Meteorology Laboratory ( ML ) Pull by one of its strength, SCRIM which has international recognition for the National Meteorology Laboratory (ML) enable SCRIM Technologies new calibration undertaking involving the critical sector. SCRIM Technologies previously could not undertaking calibration services for aircraft system does not have international recognition for the aviation industry. SCRIM was recognized over the world as a global research and standards development organization and becoming one of the nine founding members of the Global Research Alliance (GRAB), a cooperation of leading knowledge-intensive technology organization.
Weaknesses 1) In 2009, SCRIM Bertha faces loss with a few of its product
2) In 2001, sales of all product starting to slightly slow down
3) Standardization in quality certificate
4) Lack of product and solutions to the public or more specifically the local Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (Seems)
An enhanced Industrial automation and robotics will cater Malaysia's industry or provide services to the manufacturing industry so that publics or even Seems do not have to acquire automation or electronic devices and services from countries such as China or Taiwan. SCRIM has good track records in robotics and electronics technology ND if they can build on these strengths in the years to come, people will talk about this technology and they can stand tall in this sector.
1) Enrich knowledge management As recognize knowledge is significant to an organization, there is a need to manage the knowledge in order to sharpen their competitive edge in a market place. Nowadays, knowledge considered as the main intangible ingredient in the melting pot that makes innovation possible in the organization. Therefore, knowledge is powerful tools that can make changes to the world and enable to assist an organization in globalization and innovation.
2) flagship programmer to spur Scrim's research ; technology Eight flagship programmer have been identified by SCRIM Bertha to further boost its Research and Technology Division for the future. Under the leadership of President and Chief Executive, Hobby. Ir. H].
Cite this Page
SIRIM Background & SWOT. (2018, Mar 19). Retrieved from https://phdessay.com/sirim-background-swot/
Run a free check or have your essay done for you