Answer to Question # 1
Sharon Daloz Parks, in his books entitled “Leadership Can Be Taught,” discussed leadership in an adaptive concept.Adaptive concept means that the word leader denotes to lead and in order to lead a group, you ought to be a procrastinator of time or think ahead of time.A person should have a view on what possible things might be encountered.
Then think of the possible solutions for the upcoming problem. Anticipatory imagination is considering all the pros and cons of things.
In adaptive leadership, it is believed that leadership can be learned. It deals with understanding and about behaviors and actions. It is not in any way an inherent trait. The adaptability of the organization depends on having a widespread leadership. The ideas should not only come from the people on the top, but it should come from people within the organization. Practicing adaptive leadership means making a holding environment where discussions of certain issues are kept safe. In addition, the adaptive leadership consulting is about understanding adaptive pressures and dynamics, and using those insights in creating successful changes.
Adaptive leadership is a must in an organization because it paves the way for less problems to incur because in this process, the leader is futuristic, which considers the entire negative and positive things that will come their way. As a mentor or guide, the leader has to be likened to an eagle which soars high and sees all things below. Leaders should have focused determination and an attitude for winning. Indeed, leadership is not a position but disposition.
Answer to Question # 2
With regards to the to the character trait of embracing the negative, it is said that (a) Profit comes as a result of facing problems, so doing it is seen as a good thing, not a negative thing; and (2) The best way to solve a problem is not to have it to begin with.
Embracing the negative means embracing problems. The person who is pessimistic or negative is a type of person who is always looking at the negative side of life. It seems that problem is bigger than the solution. Man in his struggle for existence need not grope in the dark but always look at the bright side of life. The dark side is the problem and the light side is the solution. As we face different challenges in our life, we must always think positive, never give up easily when trials comes our way and look at the brighter side of life. Always remember that in every problem, there is always a solution. The best way to do is to give up the negative, and learned to motivate and encourage yourself to think positively or be an optimistic.
Thinking realistically and positively will become automatic in you as you go through your life. And the response to the problems when it comes to you the next time will be handled in a entirely a new way. It will then be easier for you to handle and face the next trials that will come to your life if you will become optimistic. It is indeed a long process and it will take some time for it to happen, but eventually, in the long run, it will happen. So it is better to start now on your journey to replace the negative thinking or being pessimistic with a positive thinking or being an optimistic.
Profit comes as a result of facing the problems. Like David who faces Goliath, in our lives facing problems and trials will determine our strength and failure in life. Indeed life is a choice; we either choose life or death, problems or solutions, negative or positive. The rest is up to us. The best way to solve a problem is not to have it to begin with which means that in solving problems we need to look at the solution of the problem because in this way more concrete ideas will come our way. Keeping a positive attitude and not considering difficult things as problems would greatly help in attaining one’s goals.
Sometimes when we have a problem, we keep on thinking that we have a problem and it is so hard to solve, how can I get over it? And in some cases, instead of solving the problem we engaged ourselves in drinking alcoholic beverages or taking prohibited drugs in order for us to forget that we have a problem. With these, we are not solving the problem. We keep on thinking about the problem not knowing that it will only aggravate the problem because emotionally we are affected by it.
Instead of thinking about the problem on and on without doing something, we should face the problem, know what causes the problem and find the solutions. In every little problems that we encounter we must find solutions immediately, before it gets worse or become big that we cannot handle anymore. When we follow this kind of solving/handling the problem it will be easier for us to face the trials next time.
If we continue with the way we do it the wrong way of solving the problem we will not gain something from it but if we start to face it now, and find solutions to the problem we will gain something from it and life would be easier.
Answer to Question # 3
Three Essential/Necessary for Success:
Competencies means being confident in whatever undertakings we had. Competencies means we are fully equipped to do things because of all the necessary ingredients of trainings, experiences and capabilities are stored within us. Successful people are confident people.
2. Alliance Builder
Alliance builder means we are also a support group. We love networking, linkages and alliances with people who are also a builder like us. Builder means they help us to grow as a person in every aspect of our lives. The saying that no man is an island is a complement of this so called alliance builder. To be in allegiance with the right people is indeed a blessing. Successful people are building other lives or alliance builder.
3. Character or Integrity
Character or Integrity is very important aspects for success. Character or integrity is the totality your whole being. Talents, riches and material things can make us on the top but character will make us stay there. Truly character depicts the real you.
Six Character Dimension:
1) Gain the complete trust of the people they were leading and capture their full hearts and following
The saying that, “follow the leader,” means that a true leader is worth following for. They gain the trust and confidence of his followers and believe in every word he says. And being a good leader we should also be a role model to our followers.
2) See all of the realities that were right in front of them. They had blind spots regarding themselves, others, or even the markets, customers, projects, opportunities, or other external realities that kept them from reaching their goals. A true leader is realistic for their weakness and strengths. Blind spots means, that they are open to correction and suggestion because they don’t see everything like an imperfect person. They have teachable spirit and a humble heart to learn more things for their completion as a person. They want to learn more in areas like marketing, customer relations, projects, opportunities or other external realities in life because leaders are good followers.
3) Work in a way that actually produced the outcomes that they should have produced, given their abilities and resources Successful leaders are results driven and results oriented. They work in a way that their given abilities and talents were used and exercised and applied to the fullest.
4) Deal with problem people, negative situations, obstacles, failures, setbacks, and losses. Successful people are not afraid to work with all kinds of people and situations. They consider it as a challenge and transcend their own interest and give themselves to larger purposes, thus becoming part of a larger mission a test for their testimony and they are winners and not losers in facing any failures, setbacks, and losses.
5. Create growth in their organization, their people, themselves, their profits, or their industry. Successful people are part and parcel of growth in any organization and a contributing factor for the success of other people and the industry in general.
6) Transcend their own interest and give themselves to larger purposes, thus becoming part of a larger mission This character trait for success is broadminded. Successful leaders want to widen his territories, his field of interest and horizons. He wants to connect with best minds and believe in the saying that “Iron sharpens Iron” for the betterment of themselves and others. Indeed, for them learning never ends from cradle to grave. Learning is a never-ending process we should never stop striving to learn more.
“Avoiding Pessimism May Be More Important than Being Optimistic.” 1998.Ohio State University.
“Ethics is our Religion: Creative and Optimistic Thinking.” 2006. North Virginia Ethical Society.
McGrath, H. Phd. “Teaching Students to Think Optimistically. Deakin University: Faculty Education.
Parks, SD. 2005. “Leadership Can Be Taught.” Amazon.com
“Positive Thinking: Practice this Stress Management Skill.” 2007. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER).
“Tips on Giving Up Pessimistic Thinking Habit.” 2006. Liesnet.
“What is Leadership?” 2007. Amazom.com