Introduction to the undertaking
Management system means the methods by which an administration programs, operates, and controls its activities to run into its ends and aims by using the resources of money, people, equipment stuffs and information.
Management information systems are used by companies to assist maintain them more organized in certain parts of concerns. For illustration, companies use databases as a manner or hive awaying information as it helps them to entree informations more rapidly and remain more organized. It is better than holding a paper-based system where relevant information can be lost or read falsely. Besides with paper-based systems, they take
The undertaking I have decided to make will affect me analyzing, planing, and implementing a stock database system for warehouse operations in a little concern. In future this database could be used by other little concern companies as good.
The company that I have decided to utilize is Biring ‘s News, which I have been working for over 4 old ages. The database will enable the company to pull off their stock that comes in and out of the warehouse.
The ground I have chosen to make this company is due to the fact that I have been working at that place for such a long clip. I ‘ve learnt about how the concern itself runs and have seen jobs occur and become resolved or need to be resolved throughout the clip I have been at that place. Biring ‘s News has a concatenation of newsdealers which are based over Kent and London. The proprietors of the concern are ever either opening more stores in new locations or shuting them down in others. It would be utile for the company to hold a system that shows them how the stock is being managed, what is selling good and what is non.
Background of the Company
Biring ‘s News is owned by Jasbir Biring.
They own a concatenation of newsdealers which are located in Kent and London. The stores are all situated within shopping Centres like Bluewater Shopping Centre and Westfield Shopping Centre. They sell a scope of stock such as, Sweets, drinks, magazines, coffin nails and newspapers.
Biring ‘s News opened there first store in Lakeside shopping Centre, 1989, which was a great success and led them to open more and subdivision out towards London. In entire, the company has opened up to 8 newsdealers since 1989, some are still running and others have been sold on.
At the minute, the company has one chief warehouse where all the stock is kept for all of Mr Biring ‘s stores ; so workers are ever in and out taking what they need when they want. The job with this is that there is no record of good coming in and good coming out, so there is no record of what points are low in stock and what points there are excessively much of. The result of this is that the director has jobs with stock that is non selling really good which leads to him holding excessively much in the warehouse which can besides so go out of day of the month, so he is losing out on money. Another job that would happen is that he may run low on stock that is high in demand ; therefore he will be losing out on gross revenues.
The company besides have a concatenation of providers that they use. They use the same provider for magazines and newspapers as they receive that stock automatically on a day-to-day footing. When it
At the minute, the company has no record of what is kept in the warehouse, the lone manner of cognizing what is in the warehouse is by roll uping bills of what has been purchased or by staff advising the director about what is losing in the warehouse.
Aim of Project
The purpose of the undertaking is to:
- Write in item what the job is
- State how the job could be solved
- State how the system will work and what it is intended to make
- Identify all the demands for the system
- Analyse and plan the system that I intend to bring forth
- Implement the system
- Make a user usher for the company so that they are able to utilize the system
Aim of the Undertaking
The aim of the undertaking will enable the company to:
- Become more organized – they will be able to maintain path of what stock they have, so they wo n’t hold the job off holding excessively small stock or extra stock.
- Save money – the system will enable the company to salvage money as they will cognize what they have, so they will non purchase stock that is non required.
- Think of some more aims! ! !
Management information systems
Management Information Systems can be used to treat informations into utile information. For illustration, it could be a system used to do orders.
There are three types of direction information systems which are:
- Decision Support Systems
- Information coverage systems
- Executive information systems
Decision Support systems
This type of system allows strategic and tactical determinations to be made.
Decision support systems are chiefly used to back up the tactical, semi structured determinations that need to be made as portion of the rating and planning of a concern. Executive information systems are targeted at strategic determination devising, which frequently involves unstructured determinations.
This type of system is normally created by the terminal user as they are the 1s who normally use it. That manner they know how is works directly off. Examples of where determination support systems are used are to analyze informations and see if there are any tendencies, for case, looking at gross revenues figures over a period of clip.
Information coverage systems
This type of system helps companies as it produces studies which can assist them to do determinations within the company. For illustration, this type of system would assist Biring ‘s News as you could bring forth studies of what was in stock, so the director would hold an thought on what he needs to buy. There are two types of describing systems which are periodic studies and exclusion studies.
Periodic studies are produced merely when required by determination shapers at regular intervals. Examples include a monthly fiscal statement and a hebdomadal gross revenues analysis.
Exception studies are produced merely when asked for. This would be utile for Biring ‘s News as the director could easy publish a study out for himself whenever he needed it, for illustration, he would necessitate a transcript of the stock study when he planned to do an order from a provider.
Executive information systems
Provides senior directors with a system to help them in taking strategic and tactical determinations. Their intent is to analyze, comparison and highlight tendencies to assist regulate the strategic way of the company. They are normally integrated with operational systems, giving directors the installation to ‘drill down ‘ to happen farther information on the job.
Off the Shelf package
A criterion bing system is purchased from a package seller and installed on computing machines located within an administration.
This type of package can be purchased by anyone and can be used to run by 1000s of people. You can buy many types of off the shelf package depending on what field you ‘re working in, for illustration, if you do photo use you could buy package such as Photoshop, which is really popular.
With this type of package, it is moderately priced as it is popular. It is utile for smaller companies as they are chiefly capable of being able to make what the company wants. This package is non every bit utile to bigger companies as they prefer to hold package to make precisely what they want. For illustration, off the shelf package may hold characteristics that are non required by the company or they may be losing applications that the company needs. Bespoke package is a better option for much larger companies, as they can hold it produced to their demands.
I will be bring forthing a stock database which will fit the demands for a warehouse storage system, so it will be able to be used by other smaller companies.
The Waterfall theoretical account
The waterfall theoretical account divides a undertaking up into phases. The theoretical accounts show that you should follow each phase in a specific order, as the diagram below indicates.
Feasibility Study – This is the phase where the user has to research whether their planned undertaking is executable.
The feasibleness is broken down into four stairss:
- Prepare for feasibleness survey by measuring the range of the undertaking.
- Define the job ( what should the new system do that the present 1 does non ) .
- Choose the best feasibleness option from those available ( typically up to five concern options and a similar figure of proficient options ) .
- Assemble the feasibleness study, including the principle for the selected option.
Analysis – this can be broken down into two phases which are the probe of the current environment and concern systems options.
Probe of the current environment – this is the most of import out of the two phases. For this, the user will hold made a list of all the demands in the feasibleness survey, so now they will hold to spread out on the demands and do them more elaborate by speaking about how they will be solved. They will besides hold to province what attributes and entities they will necessitate and how they will all be linked in the entity relationship diagram. They will besides hold to take a information theoretical account so they know how they are traveling to finish the undertaking and in what phases. The user will besides hold to set up the purposes and aims of the undertaking.
Business system options – this phase comprises two stairss, the aims of which are to hold what the functionality should be. A figure of possible systems solutions for the perceived concern demands are formulated and the impacts and benefits of each will be evaluated. The solution selected will be the one that most closely catches the demands of the concern.
The two stairss are:
- Define concern options
- Select concern option
System design means that the developers describe in item how the system will work, what the end products will be and what inputs are needed. Similarly, processs are described and hardware demands defined.
This is the phase where you create the system. It should be made right under all the given demands.
Care and Testing
At this phase the system should be completed and tested to see if it works. A user usher should besides be created so it can state the user how to run and keep the package.
I am traveling to utilize the Waterfall theoretical account to construction my undertaking. I have chosen this because it allows me to research all facets decently before traveling in front and making the system decently. This manner I will non hold the job of burying to add in parts or adding in applications that are non needed.
I am traveling to bring forth a stock database system for the company warehouse, which could subsequently be used as an off the shelf bundle by other little warehouse companies. This system will enable the director keep his stock by ever holding a sufficient sum of all his stock. The system will work by holding all the provider information stored on the database. From there the director will be able to entree their web sites and look into what publicities they have and besides compare monetary values to see where he could acquire a better trade. He will besides be able to see all the stock he has in the warehouse. The stock will be shown under their appropriate headers, for illustration, Coke would be stored under drinks. Following to each point of stock, it will province how many of each is stored at the minute. Employee inside informations will besides be stored on the system so that they can entree the system to enter what they had took from the warehouse, so that all the stock degrees are shown right.
To bring forth the system I will necessitate the undermentioned information to bring forth the system:
- Name callings and references of the newsdealers
- Warehouse inside informations – where it is located
- What stock is sold in the store
- What stock is stored in the warehouse ( magazines and newspapers are non stored at that place, is at that place anything else? )
- How many providers they use
- Detailss of providers – what they specialise in selling
- Detailss of employees ( this is because they all have entree to the warehouse, so the director will necessitate to maintain path of what they are taking )
To happen out all the information I will carry on an interview with the director.
Requirements for the system:
- Employees must hold their ain user name and watchword to log into the system ; this is to halt any unauthorized entree to the system.
- They must be able to hold entree to their inside informations so that they can change it if any alterations are needed to be made.
- They must be able to change the measure degrees of all the stock to maintain it updated.
- The inside informations that will be required of the employee are their first name, last name, which shop they work in, reference, contact figure.
- There should besides be a map that enables you to add and edit/delete employees.
- The inside informations that will be required are the name of the provider, the reference, website reference, email reference, phone figure.
- There should besides be a map that enables the user to add and edit/delete providers.
- The inside informations that will be required are the names of the stores, what shopping Centres they are located within, and the reference, which employee works at that place.
- There should be a map available that allows the user to add and edit/delete stores.
- The inside informations that will be required for the warehouse is the warehouse figure, the reference, what is stored at that place.
- The inside informations that will be required is the name of everything that is sold in the store, for illustration, Sweets, magazines, coffin nails, etc. Besides you will necessitate to cognize the measure of it that is stored in the warehouse.
- There should be a map available that allows the user to add and edit/delete stock, either when they proprietor decides to halt selling it or when a new point is released in the market.
The package that I am traveling to utilize to make the information system is Microsoft Access.
Microsoft Access is a Relational Database Management system. It is a really popular database system and it is easy to utilize.
Microsoft Access database contains a figure of different applications ; some of them are table ‘s questions, signifiers, studies, macros and so on.
Tables – these are used for informations storage. The tabular arraies are presented in rows and columns to the user so that they can input at that place informations. The tabular array is shown in a similar manner to a spreadsheet format as all the gridlines are seeable.
Questions – they gather certain information from different tabular arraies and expose them all on one screen.
Using a question you can alter the order of records ( screening ) , retrieve single records or groups of records ( seeking and filtrating ) , count, amount, norm, and otherwise summarize informations values ( collection ) and compute new values from values held in the tabular array ( computation ) .
Forms – this allows information from tabular arraies to be displayed in a more professional manner. With signifiers you are able to add in images as you ca n’t infix them into tabular arraies.
Reports- studies are used for showing information in different formats. They can besides incorporate images and graphs.
- Bocij, P, Chaffey, D, Greasley, A, Hickie S. ( 2006 ) Business Information Systems Prentice Hall, Pearson instruction. Chapters 6 & A ; 7
- Boddy, D, Boonstra, A, Kennedy, G ( 2002 ) Pull offing Information Systems Prentice Hall, Pearson instruction. Chapter 1
- Dowling, N ( 1998 ) Database Design and Management utilizing Access Letts. Great Britain. Chapter 1
- Glanss, T, Grad, B, Holstein, D, Meyers, W, Schmidt, R ( 1968 ) Management Systems United States of America. Chapter 1
- The hired Institute for IT. Retrieved on: 12/10/09, from the World Wide Web: hypertext transfer protocol: //www.bcs.org/server.php? show=ConWebDoc.2767
- Hero Solutions. Retrieved on: 12/10/09, from the World Wide Web: hypertext transfer protocol: //www.hero-solutions.co.uk/articles/bespokevsofftheshelf.asp
- Microsoft Office Online. Retrieved on: 13/10/09, from the World Wide Web: hypertext transfer protocol: //office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA101656301033.aspx
- Microsoft Office Online. Retrieved on: 13/10/09, from the World Wide Web: hypertext transfer protocol: //office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA101650211033.aspx